Join U.A. Local 484
Apprenticeship in the pipe trades is a highly selective program, each candidate is carefully screened. No one with drug or alcohol problems can qualify and acceptance for training depends on the applicant's qualifications and the manpower needs of the Local at the time of the selection process.
The following is a brief description of each Apprenticeship Field.
A Plumber Apprentice assembles, installs and repairs pipes, fittings and fixtures of domestic water, gas and drainage systems; according to specifications and plumbing codes. Studies building plans and working drawings to determine work aids required and sequence of installation.
A Steamfitter/Pipefitter Apprentice lays out, fabricates, assembles, installs and maintains piping, systems and equipment for steam, heating and cooling industrial processing systems.
A HVAC (Refrigeration) Apprentice assists in the installation of Heating and Air Conditioning systems. Assembles and installs variety of piping for air, ammonia, gas and water systems. Works on electrical installation and wiring for HVAC equipment, switches and controls. The recovery of refrigerant gasses (CFC Certified). Start, test and balance air or water systems.
The geographical area covered by Plumbers and Pipefitters U.A. Local 484 consists of Ventura County.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS ARE AS FOLLOWS FOR APPRENTICE APPLICANTS:
1. AGE: You must be at least 18 years of age. If you are only 17 years old but will be graduating from High School in June, you may still apply. You must be 18 years of age to be dispatched to an employer.
2. IDENTIFICATION and EDUCATIONAL PREREQUISITE: A valid California Driver’s License, Social Security Card and High School Diploma or G.E.D. are required at the time of application. All documents must be original, no photo copies will be accepted.
3. PHYSICAL PREREQUISITE: Applicant must be able to perform the physical requirements of the Trade.
4. TESTING: Applicants must take a math test. This is a basic pre-algebra math test with nothing trade specific. Applicants must pass the math test with a 70% or better.
5. ORAL INTERVIEW: An Oral Interview will be scheduled for those passing the math test.
6. DRUG/ALCOHOL TESTING: Applicants who pass the math test and oral interview may be subject to a drug/alcohol test per employer’s request. Negative test results are required prior to being dispatched to an employer.
7. HOURLY WAGE: Starting wage is a percentage of the current Journeyman rate of pay with a graduating increase.
8. LENGTH OF TRAINING: This is a Five (5) year program. Consisting of 7500 hours of on-the-job training and 1080 hours of classroom training.
Applications are taken twice a month, on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of every month.
Contact the Hall at: 805-643-6345 for additional information.
IF YOU HAVE JOURNEYMEN PIPE TRADE EXPERIENCE
U. A. Local 484 members, staff and officers welcomes you, if you're not working as a Union Plumber, Pipefitter, Welder or HVACR Technician, your employer can pay you whatever he wants, can fire you whenever he wants and can make you work in substandard and even dangerous conditions. Yes, he can even shortchange you on wages whenever he feels like it. You're one of the corners he can cut to be low bidder. We are waiting to go to bat for you to see that your rights are protected, you're paid a fair and decent wage, and that you have someone speaking out for you at the next negotiating session. You don't have to take second best any more. Why not find out more about the union? You owe it to yourself and your family to find how to join the ranks of the best paid, most respected union in the United States and Canada. All inquiries are strictly confidential. If you're good at what you do in the pipe trades, have a minimum of 6 years’ experience in the industry, we want to talk with you! We want to form a partnership for the future with you. We will contact you before or after work or on the weekends to answer questions and explain how you and your family can enjoy better wages, working conditions and benefits, such as health coverage and pensions.
All inquiries can contact Organizer Tim Redondo at 805-643-6345 or email at email@example.com